AGI Sport’s Zak Best has taken opening practice honours for Round Five of the 2017 CAMS Jayco Australian Formula 4 Championship at Queensland Raceway.
The Australian Formula 4 field were among the first to explore the circuit, supporting the Supercars Ipswich SuperSprint round, on Hankook tyres last featured at Phillip Island.
“It’s a good start to the weekend. Pushing hard with the old tyres, it was fun. It was sideways for a lot of corners,” Best said.
“It was good to come here again just like last year in the Aussie Racing Car, just completely different. High speed, good fun!”
Best led fellow AGI Sport teammate Nick Rowe by the slimmest of margins, with championship leader Rowe 0.0440 seconds off Best’s 1:12.6943.
Team BRM’s Cameron Shields was the best placed CAMS Foundation Rising Star in third place.
Shields was also the leading Queenslander between he and Zagame Autosport’s Ryan Suhle, however both Suhle and Tyler Everingham encountered timing transmitter issues during the session.
Drivers will encounter another 20 minute practice session at 10:25am, followed by qualifying later this afternoon at 2:25pm.
Qualifying and all three races will be televised live on Fox Sports (506).
Provisional Practice One Results
1. Zak Best – AGI Sport: 1:12.6943
2. Nick Rowe – AGI Sport: +0.0440
3. Cameron Shields – Team BRM: +0.5598
4. Liam Lawson – AGI Sport: +0.5709
5. Sage Murdoch – AGI Sport: +0.5923
6. Simon Fallon – Team BRM: +0.8049
7. Jordan Mazzaroli – JRD: +0.8418
8. Tyler Everingham – Zagame Autosport: +0.9045
9. Zane Morse – Team BRM: +1.1573
10. Aaron Love – Team BRM: +1.1686
11. Ryan Suhle – Zagame Autosport: +1.7110