AGI Sport’s Jayden Ojeda has topped both Friday practice sessions for the third round of the CAMS PAYCE Australian Formula 4 Championship today at Queensland Raceway.
Rain in the second session failed to dampen Ojeda’s pace as the field gingerly encountered the session, with no further rain predicted for the remainder of the weekend.
Ojeda topped the second session by 0.45 seconds over Team BRM’s Aaron Love and was a further second ahead of Zayd Tones and Lochie Hughes.
“It would’ve been good to leave the slicks on for the whole session, but there was a bit of weather to spice things up,” Ojeda said.
“I didn’t want to push it too hard because I didn’t want angry mechanics when I came back to the pits. So I tried to bring it back in one piece, but at the same time I tried to get an ideal balance on the car.”
Tomorrow, crews will battle for the Castrol Pole Position from 10:15am – with Cameron Shields and Ojeda each sharing a sole pole award so far in 2018. The drivers will then race for the weekend’s first points in the opening 13 lap race at 12:50pm.
For championship leader Shields, the rain affected session wasn’t ideal preparation for the entire field ahead of qualifying and racing tomorrow.
“The rain came down at the very last second, so unfortunately for us it wasn’t much of a session – we weren’t prepared for that rain,” Shields said.
“Moving forward to qualifying tomorrow is going to be tough with only really one practice session.”
This morning’s opening practice session saw all three teams represented in the top four, with Ojeda quickest ahead of Shields, Ryan Suhle and Jackson Walls. Though Shields was later excluded from the opening practice session due to a team infringement.
Fox Sports will televise tomorrow’s qualifying battle for Castrol Pole Position and Race One as part of the support coverage of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship.
Practice Two Results
- Jayden Ojeda – AGI Sport – 1:23.4630
- Aaron Love – Team BRM +0.4570
- Zayd Tones – Team BRM +1.3029
- Lochie Hughes – Team BRM +1.4181
- Ardie Jonic – AGI Sport +2.3796
- Josh Smith – Team BRM +2.4110
- Cameron Shields – Team BRM +2.6065
- Ryan Suhle – AGI Sport +2.6481
- Thomas Smith – Team BRM +3.7118
- Jackson Walls – Patrizicorse
Practice One Results
- Jayden Ojeda – AGI Sport – 1:12.1822
- Ryan Suhle – AGI Sport +0.4152
- Jackson Walls – Patrizicorse +1.0766
- Aaron Love – Team BRM +1.4976
- Lochie Hughes – Team BRM +1.5004
- Zayd Tones – Team BRM +2.1652
- Josh Smith – Team BRM +2.3715
- Ardie Jonic – AGI Sport +2.7067
- Thomas Smith – Team BRM +2.9059
- EXCL. Cameron Shields – Team BRM (times excluded)