Team BRM driver Lochie Hughes was the fastest driver in the CAMS PAYCE Australian Formula 4 Championship’s first practice session at the Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix.
The CAMS Rising Star driver was the only driver in the 2:02 bracket, and was three-tenths quicker than AGI Sport’s Luis Leeds around the Albert Park Circuit.
Hughes’ teammate Ryan Suhle was third quickest ahead of his former teammate and 2018 Champion Jayden Ojeda.
Tommy Smith also impressed to be within the top five drivers, and ahead of New Zealander Taylor Cockerton who was the fastest international aboard the MTEC Motorsport prepared Formula 4.
Making his Formula 4 debut this weekend, Jackson Burton also impressed to be seventh ahead of teammates Josh Smith and Antonio Astuti.
Patrizicorse’s Jackson Walls crept into the top ten, with teammate Aaron Zerefos in the final position in 18th after a spin in the opening minutes causing the solitary red flag for the session.
Teams will reconvene ahead of the Castrol Pole Position, with Australian Formula 4 qualifying again on Thursday from 2:30pm.
- Lochie Hughes (Team BRM) 2:02.7758
- Luis Leeds (AGI Sport) +0.3783
- Ryan Suhle (Team BRM) +1.6032
- Jayden Ojeda (AGI Sport) +1.8969
- Tommy Smith (Team BRM) +2.0269
- Taylor Cockerton (MTEC) +2.1420
- Jackson Burton (AGI Sport) +2.1745
- Josh Smith (AGI Sport) +3.3475
- Antonio Astuti (AGI Sport) +3.4425
- Jackson Walls (Patrizicorse) +5.2447
- Matt Holmes (JRD) +5.9060
- Heath Collinson (JRD) +6.4471
- Ryan Yardley (MTEC) +10.3424
- Dylan Thomas (Tank Motorsport) +10.5893
- Christian Lester (Rossoverde) +11.0839
- Brenton Griguol (Team BRM) +13.8154
- Emerson Harvey (Team BRM) +14.7841
- Aaron Zerefos (Patrizicorse) +24.8713